What is inflammation? How does diet affect inflammation in the body? How does an anti-inflammatory diet work? How to lower inflammation in the body overnight? Inflammation is a very common problem people are facing nowadays but before solving the problem you must know about the mechanism of the problem.
Inflammation is the response of the body towards any intruder. It aids in the healing mechanism of the body. Inflammation can be in response to sudden injury or infection, when damaged tissues are being repaired by white blood cells and known as acute inflammation. When inflammation spreads in the body, it is known as chronic inflammation and it can be related to risk of some diseases such as diabetes, arthritis and cardiovascular diseases.
Inflammation is generally characterized by swelling, redness, pain, heat and loss of functionality of the affected area. Inflammatory signs do not always appear. In such cases, the patient only feels fever and tiredness.
What is the effect of diet on inflammation?
Diet affects the level of C-reactive protein (CRP) in the blood. Liver produces CRP when there is any type of inflammation in blood either acute or chronic. High level of CRP is the marker of inflammation in the blood. When you eat a diet which causes inflammation, it increases the level of CRP in blood. As diet is directly related to inflammation, you should know about how to reduce inflammation in the body through diet.
How to lower inflammation in the body?
There are different things which lower inflammation in the body fast including medications, supplementation, lifestyle changes and the most important is an anti-inflammatory diet. When there is chronic inflammation in the body, the body faces high oxidative stress and there is alteration in glucose and lipid metabolism in liver, muscle and fat cells of the body. These changes in the body can be easily treated by eating an anti-inflammation diet. So, anti-inflammatory diet is the basic key to reducing inflammation. By modifying your diet and adding some special dietary components in your diet according to your inflammation condition, an anti-inflammatory diet can be made. An anti-inflammatory diet works best against inflammation.
What is an anti-inflammatory diet? How does an anti-inflammatory diet work? How does it help to reduce inflammation? Well, an anti-inflammatory diet is a diet with sufficient calories, low in refined carbohydrates, high in soluble fiber, monounsaturated fatty acids and polyphenols. All these dietary components have anti-inflammatory effects. Some anti-inflammatory foods include whole grains, fruits and vegetables, plant based proteins like nuts and beans, fish, spices and herbs.
Eating right is very important in case of chronic inflammation. An example of an anti-inflammatory diet is Mediterranean Diet which is an anti-inflammatory diet containing all healthy foods.
Foods to eat
- Whole Grains: The germ portion of whole grain is filled with anti-oxidant which makes it anti-inflammatory. Its fiber content is also good for gut bacterial growth which then gives anti-inflammatory substances to the body.
- Fruits and vegetables: They contain vitamins, minerals and many other phytonutrients which fight against inflammation in the body. Their antioxidant property also works against inflammation. Fiber in fruits and vegetables is important for gut bacterial growth in the body which in turn produces anti-inflammatory substances. This is how an anti-inflammatory diet involving fruits and vegetables lower inflammation. Some specific fruits and vegetables like cherries, blueberries, grapes, kale, cabbage and broccoli work as a part of an anti-inflammatory diet. The best way is to add salads in your diet.
- Legumes: All legumes are healthy for the anti-inflammatory purpose. They also contain vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients which give them anti-oxidant properties. Soy foods are specifically anti-inflammatory food because it has antioxidant components, is flavones.
- Herbs and Spices: They have anti-oxidant properties due to their vitamin and mineral content. They also have anti-inflammatory properties. Almost all herbs and spices have this same property. Some main herbs include parsley, oregano, basil and rosemary, spices include cinnamon, cumin, black pepper and turmeric (curcumin in turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties).
- Nuts and Seeds: All nuts (almonds and cashews) and seeds (flaxseed and sunflower seed) are considered healthy because they each have some specific component which gives them anti-oxidants property. For example; Alpha Linoleic acid is present in Walnuts which is a plant based fatty acid. ALA has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fish: It is the best source of Omega-3 fatty acid. It is also a part of an anti-inflammatory diet. Salmon, sardine and mackerel are some examples of fish used as a part of an anti-inflammatory diet.
- Tea, coffee and Dark chocolate: these food items should be the smaller part of an anti-inflammatory diet. Dark chocolate has flavone, which acts as an antioxidant. All the three food items contain caffeine which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Olive oil: Extra-virgin olive oil is important part of an anti-inflammatory diet. Its physical properties like bitter taste and pungent smell ensure that it contains polyphenols which act as an anti-inflammatory component.